Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Poetry Panic

During our class meeting it was interesting to see the lack of participation for the poetry reading, seeing that "stereotypically" poetry is something that excites students especially those who are afflicted with the love of words. However after looking back I realized that when the poet is not an unfamiliar face, but your own, the vulnerability that is involved can be overwhelming. As I was reading my poem I realized what I felt was impersonal had an underlying meaning that make me feel as if I was removing my clothing with each word. At the end of my poem I felt uncomfortably naked, and relieved that I finally got it off my chest.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sherece! You are very right when you say that showing your poems to "unfamiliar faces" makes you feel extremely vulnerable, almost accepting the fact that your poem will be a sufficient ground for others to judge you as a person. This is the reason I refrained from reading my poems. However, now, upon coming across with your comment, I realize how subjective and self-centered our perception is. When I heard people reading their poems last week, I just got very curious about what kind of poems they had come up with. That's it. I was not seeing them as gradually getting "undressed" to the state of uncomfortable vulnerability. But paradoxically this is what I thought would happen to me, had I read my poems. :)

    ReplyDelete